Sunday, February 15, 2009

Snow Days Chicago

Snow Days Chicago is city's competition for carving artists, who transform 10-foot-tall blocks of compacted snow into the sculptures you'll see below. This is the first year for the event in Grant Park – in prior years, it had been held in Chicago's northwest suburbs.

I am really glad founder Fran Volz was able to get the location changed, because Michigan Avenue makes for a very nice backdrop. I got the chance to check out the new scene when Catalyst Chicago magazine asked me to shoot the competition for the upcoming issue (which you should check out, plug plug).

I met a few of the sculptors, a few of the Snow Days volunteers, a few of the passers-by and one very playful malamute dog. I also got extremely cold – I should have worn some real headgear instead of my Cubs baseball cap (but hey, it was the first day of spring training in Arizona).












2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! I'm having a hard time picking a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for interviewing my team of students (we did the Obamanable Snowman). You did a nice job covering the event!

    ReplyDelete